Sunday, April 5, 2009

Other stuff from this past week.

Here and there, random stuff during Spring Break.

We stopped at Focus to get some pieces framed and managed to forget the really cool thing I wanted framed. It will have to come with me when I pick up the first set. I don't want to say what it is until I have a photo to show, it's really that cool.
We also stopped by the church to get the First Communion certificates from last year stamped with a SanThome seal. This is an errand I've put off for months because I knew it would be a colossal pain in the tushie. A couple months ago I e-mailed the church without too much hope of a reply and was moderately shocked when a parish priest e-mailed me back within a week and stated I could bring in the certificates any day during their office hours along with a printout of the e-mail and it would be no problem. I didn't believe it for a second, but this week, armed with the e-mail and the certificates, Rebecca and I ventured out.
At 10 a.m., there was a parish priest in the office. That alone was a surprise. There was no one else there to create an extensive wait and I didn't even need to show the e-mail. He perused the certificates (it wasn't a priest I was familiar with), stamped them each and sent us on our way. Fifteen seconds, tops. We were in a bit of a shock. And now it's done.
On Saturday I went out with a friend to the Asiana Hotel spa. With limited days left in India it's time to take stock of all the good things here and take full advantage of them. Spa "treatments" and pedicures and resorts and cheap eats. Good friends and leisure time. All these will be in short supply in a mere 9 weeks. Kelly and I jaunted over to the Asiana on Saturday morning and after a stint in the steam room adjourned to our respective "treatment" rooms. I had hot rocks. I don't know how the little Thai chick can manage it because those rocks are really really hot and though they only touched me in steady sweeps she held them in her hands. Ouch. It was a great 90 minutes of relaxation.
We had lunch by the pool and contemplated swimming but chose instead to go home and nap before Poker night. Our neighbor was hosting and we ended with 12 players and 2 tables. Though I played well at the beginning and only threw away one good hand, I still wound up at the losers table and was third out there. It was after midnight and I'd already thrown away 4 or 5 winning hands so it was no surprise. Ian came in third at the winner's table, so he had a better night. We had a good group last night, a bunch of people we really enjoy spending time with. I'm going to miss that.
This morning we actually had to get up for church, and we were all so tired. The kids had stayed up quite late too, some of them watched some poker and a movie and didn't crash until after 11. Our neighbor's baby had her baby blessing, so we attended the local Mormon service and stayed for the first hour; Mormon services typically run 3 hours, 3 sections in one hour blocks. It was interesting to attend, though I missed Palm Sunday Mass.
We had a celebratory lunch at Sparky's. Some would say, why not go to the lovely brunch at the Marriott or some other high end place? We like Sparky's because of Thom Petty, the owner. I know it's his job to schmooze and befriend everyone who walks through the door, but I'd like to think we're folks he calls friends. I already have a going away gift in mind, if only I can find it! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment